Thursday, September 10, 2009

Update from yesterday

I was a complete mess when Adam got home yesterday afternoon, after recieving Owen's death certificate in the mail. I have felt so sick ever since. I feel like I am back to the day that Owen was born.

He couldn't understand why in cause of death, those things were written. He called the hospital to talk to our bereavement counsellor. We especially couldn't understand why the hell we would recieve the death certificate BEFORE we even had results from the autopsy, ESPECIALLY when that hadn't even been completed..

Basically to start with, we shouldn't have recieved the Death Certificate and she apologised profusely. (doesn't take away the shock and pain I felt when opening the mail)
There is also a new way things are done for this now, it cuts down the amount of forms they go thru (or something like that). like I care about the amount of paper work they have to do. No one should have to receive a death certificate before even finding out the results first.
The things that were written on his Death certificate in cause of death, was the information they had at Owen's birth, and it was written down, so the funeral home could do what they needed to and so Owen could be cremeated.

We have now found out that Owen's autospy results are back and we are arranging a time to go into the hospital for a meeting. I am even more terrified now to go in for this meeting. I don't I will handle if the results come back with some of the things that are written on the certificate we have now.

I am so angry that this has happened. I feel guilty enough, and than reading that for the cause of Owen's death, was like a kick in the guts. Seeing it written down on paper after I was already feeling like it was my fault was just too much. I am sad for all of this happening and frustrated for the way this has happened.. I feel like I am on a never ending roller coaster of emotions.

We have the option of coming in now for the autopsy results or to wait a couple of weeks for the Dr that was at our birth to be here to give us the results. I feel like I am just in limbo and waiting for the results. I need to have something for why this has happened. Even "if" there is no reason for it, and it just happened, I feel like I need to know that. I sit here constantly thinking about the "what if's". Could I have done something different that would have changed this happening. If I had of gone into labour earlier would he be here, If I would have just had another c-section would Owen be here in my arms now. I guess by hearing something I "may" stop thinking these things. I don't know.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. No answers, just thinking of you. Sending you love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too ask my self "what if..." I think it is so hard not to doubt ourselves and wonder if we had done something differently would our babies be here. Just know that you did the very best you could for your sweet boy. This IS NOT your fault, it is just a really shitty thing that has happened and I am so, so sorry. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I've just read your entire blog, and my heart is aching with you. I lost my fifth child seven weeks ago.So much of what you have written I have recognised in myself.
    I'm sending you love, and wishing none of us ever had to endure this pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry Mel, this is just wrong, there is no excuse for such a thing to happen. Like Tina said, you did what you thought was best for you and Owen, it is NOT your fault that he died, you loved him and would have done anything to protect him. I am sending you much love and strength, especially to get through the Autopsy results xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails